Want to find something?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Squanda and the Ziggurat!

Anyone who stumbles across with this blog is going to wonder what the heck is a Squanda, and what's so special about it that I had to name my blog the way I did. Well, let me explain. The Squanda is a mythical animal invented by my friend B. and me. It came to be a night at her country house when we were sitting by the fire discussing Harry Potter fan fiction or something of the sort, the things that really mattered to us back in the day. Anyway, I don't really remember the story behind it but it ended with a "ship" that included a panda and the Hogwarts squid and their little offspring called the Squanda and something about revenge on Voldy. We later created a whole set of animals like this that went from a centaur with a human to a phoenix with a parrot. We were odd kids, no need to hide it, but we had a blast.

Around that same time we invented another strange concept while studying ancient Mesopotamia and their buildings. Turns out they created these pyramidal temples that were called Ziggurats. All hell broke loose after that. A funny name and two overly excited 14 year olds... Well we decided this was a good battle cry or something like the "GERONIMO!" She even illustrated it a couple of times, to my delight and joy. And I'm supposed to be the older one...

Anyway, this post isn't really about the squanda, as much I love it. It's about B. These past few days I've been missing her like crazy. Her parents came over last night for paella and a couple of nights ago I went to see her dad's expo on Honduras, and all I could think was "Darn I miss her!" She really has seen me at my best and my worse and is still there with me every step of the way. And I'm really sorry for not being as good of friend, but she's always on my mind somewhere. Even if something silly like the ziggurat or the squanda. Gracias por todo, B.

No comments: