Want to find something?

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Oh those politicians...

After a series of rather embarrassing and ridiculous declarations on national television by both, the president of the country and the president of congress, I started to think about politics and what awaits my dear country in the future, if there is any for us. The president of Congress, Roberto Michelleti, said in front of the cameras and his fellow representatives of the people that he was being threatened and that his dead or that of his family was imminent and that if anything was to happen, the president was the one to blame. He even declared the government had hired a Guatemalan mercenary to finish him off. He ended his speech saying that we should not be following and doing what a “deranged fool with ideals of continuing in power.” Mel Zelaya a.k.a the President (and I use the term loosely, because I can’t stand him), then counterattacked and said that Michelleti was suffering delusions caused by the swine flu. These people are grown men, they are supposed to be the leaders of this country yet, they fight like mere five year olds. What did we do to deserve the leaders we have? The answer to that might be in the education we are giving our newer generations and the values we have lost with this new globalized world.
I was talking to my mom a couple of days ago, and she was telling me how Honduras was maybe 20 or 30 years ago. Hondurans were proud people, how supported each other and those from the outside. People could sleep with their doors unlocked and even open because there was no fear of anyone. There was a culture of working and striving to succeed. All of this values have been unfortunately lost in the sands of time, and I personally don’t see a way of getting them back unless we all start educating those that are being brought to the world in this very instant. I fear my generation might not be able to see this change because we are still following the same people that our parents and sometimes even our grandparents followed at our age, and really following them has been much, much worse than anything else. People my age are still voting for the same people their parents voted twenty years ago, or for their children which ends up being the exact same thing. The state is still controlled by the same fools that ruined us, and it will probably stay the same way for the next couple of decades. What can people like me do? Is there hope?
I like to think there is still hope, and that there’s something we can all do to help this beautiful nation. But I’m slowly being proved wrong as each second passes. Yet talking to my friends and peers I find that I’m not the only one that feels let down and disappointed by the way things are. Against all probability there are some people who feel that this system of government in which the same families control everything is just wrong and that it needs to change, unfortunately it’s just few of us. The people who really want change and hope for the best have to join forces and start working for some sort of improvement. And I really hope, for all of our sakes, that we can do it, because contrary to what many people think, the answer doesn’t lie on leaving the country with our tails in between our legs, scared beyond our minds, that way we are just opening the way for the politicians and their shameless rape of the Honduran people. No! We need to stay in the country and work, and hope, and pray, and actually do it, actually push this country forwards towards the future and towards a bright tomorrow. I can only hope and pray we will. God bless Honduras and its people, because we need His blessings now more than ever.

Mood: Thinking...
Music: None

No comments: